Smoothies are often selected over juice when the customer wants a heartier drink, possibly even a meal replacement. This will continue in 2016 with smoothie ingredients including more vegetables, health boosters, and even global inspiration. Smoothie trends for 2016 include the delicious Smoothie Bowl option which is continuing to gain popularity and is a staple at many juice bars today. Fast Casual gathered 10 smoothie trends for 2016.
Here are the 10 smoothie trends for this year:
- Build-your-own : Smoothie bar concepts that allow customers to customize drinks for a ‘Chipotle-style’ dining experience are seeing huge success.
- Health boosters : Ingredients such as protein, superfoods and heathy fats, transform a regular smoothie from a typical snack into a functional, tasty supplement.
- Smoothie meals :These smoothies often contain superfood ingredients and beneficial additives to keep customers feeling sustained all day long.
- Smoothie bowls : Smoothie bowls are thicker than traditional smoothies with added ice, frozen fruits and vegetables, protein powders and healthy fats.
- Sugar alternatives : As consumers continue to look for ways to add functional ingredients, sugar alternatives are also becoming increasingly popular.
- Colorful veggies : Consumers are looking beyond traditional greens in smoothies, making veggies such as beets, carrots, pumpkin and cabbage poised to take off.
- Global inspiration : Global influences that have transformed the food culture are now making their way into beverages with matcha, horchata and lassi leading the way.
- Spices and herbs : The use of culinary herbs enhance smoothies with bold flavors, and spices add a warm and spicy kick to cool concoctions.
- Low-profile liquids : Liquids beyond dairy milk and fruit juice are gaining popularity in the smoothie segment.
- Adult smoothies : These drinks are smoothies with one extra ingredient — alcohol.
Read the rest of the article at Fast Casual 10 Smoothie Trends.